Sunday, July 26, 2009

Staying True

What is truth, anyway?
Is it in anything I say?
I swear I'll never lie -
That I'd rather die
It's so easy to believe
Even as I deceive.

Truth is a dream -
the clippetty-clip-clop
of the high heels
of a woman on the hop.
Prick-prick-pricking,
stabbing the stone
though she's walking alone

Truth is a lie
until you die.
It's all in your head,
the black and the red,
debits and credits -
nothing truly fits.

Meaningless words for the most part, but they fill my head. And it makes sense to me, somewhere, deep down inside where I'm trying to stay true to who I really am. I change so much and so often that I can barely find that truth now. You'd think that basic principles wouldn't change. Like love being sacred. Or always being truthful, no matter what the cost. Don't cheat, don't lie, don't steal. Those are basic. They don't change. Or do they? I can't tell anymore.

It's so easy to slip a little. Relax one little rule, because, really, who does it hurt? Just this time, right? We won't do it again. And the next time, it comes just that much easier. Is crime a habit? I believe it could be. You never hurt the ones you love. Or do you hurt them the most? I don't know.

We all try, we shoot for the stars, aiming for the impossible in search of the God in whose image we were created. Did God expect us to be perfect when he created us, or dependent on his love to save us from the way he made us? How fair is that anyway? To create humans with hopes and dreams, with a conscience - to design them to want to be good - no, that should be Good, with a G - and then say OK, you're not perfect, I'll forgive you if you make mistakes, you're just human. It's like saying "You have to want to be the best, but really, if you're not, it's just because I made you that way, don't worry about it - but try anyway."
Is the choice between good and evil just sport for unseen beings, or really the daily struggle to save the world that it seems to us? Is there any point to it at all?

3 comments:

  1. well, if indeed the urge to be good is embedded into our genes, don't you think that being good and satisfying that urge is the thing to do? it's like that urge to find a partner, isn't it? no matter how much you resist it, and say you won't fall for another, somebody comes along and you give in...

    nothing good ever comes of giving into your urges, but if the urge is indeed to do good, I don't think it'll hurt anyone else by you giving into it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Is there any point to it at all"

    Something I've always wanted to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chavie: It's not embedded in our genes, though, is it? It's just a mental thing.

    Papare Boy: Tell me if you ever find out... :)

    Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete

Say something